GSoC projects
William Stein
2015-02-11 04:03:03 UTC
Does anybody have any GSoC projects to add to

http://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC/2015

There were basically zero that involved actual mathematics, so I've
added two. One is relevant for quaternion algebras and another for
modular forms.

Hey people -- you could use this to support a frickin' grad student
for the summer to get amazing deep useful mathematical code into
Sage?!

-- William
--
William (http://wstein.org)
Dima Pasechnik
2015-02-11 12:29:46 UTC
Post by William Stein
Does anybody have any GSoC projects to add to
http://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC/2015
There were basically zero that involved actual mathematics, so I've
added two. One is relevant for quaternion algebras and another for
modular forms.
Hey people -- you could use this to support a frickin' grad student
for the summer to get amazing deep useful mathematical code into
Sage?!
as this just popped in, we can add a project to create an interface
for CGAL in Sage...
(yes, nowadays CGAL licence is mostly (L)GPL)

Dima
mmarco
2015-02-11 12:52:30 UTC
IIRC there was an old proposal about implementing semialgebraic sets. It
would be nice to retake it. QEPCAD could be used to do much of the
heavylifting computations. I know a PhD student that plans to finish his
thesis this year and works on related concepts, i can ask him about his
availability.

Vincent Knight
2015-02-11 13:01:24 UTC
Dima pointed this out to me the other day but I haven't had time to add
anything to it. I'm hoping to get to it this evening with an idea of adding
a Game theory project :)

Thanks,
Vince
Robert Pollak
2015-02-13 14:03:20 UTC
Post by mmarco
IIRC there was an old proposal about implementing semialgebraic sets.
Hello Miguel, can you point me to this old proposal? I could not find it
in the list archive and on the wiki.

Robert
mmarco
2015-02-13 16:04:59 UTC
I saw it on Dima's webpage

http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/teaching/studentprojects/357.html

But i don't know if it was actually proposed officially.

Apperently there have been some movement on that aspect on sympy too:

https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2012-Application-Prateek-Papriwal:-Cylindrical-Algebraic-Decomposition
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2012-Application-Sachin-Irukula:-Implementation-of-Quantifiers-and-Cylindrical-algebraic-decomposition-algorithm
Robert Pollak
2015-02-23 16:14:03 UTC
Yes, but unfortunately no GSoC students worked on this. They also have no CAD yet, see https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2015-Ideas#cylindrical-algebraic-decomposition .
mmarco
2015-02-23 18:12:37 UTC
I think it would make more sense to wrap qepcad than to rewrite its
functionality from scratch.

Of course, SymPy doesn't follow the same approach as Sage, so i guess for
them it makes sense to reinvent the wheel.
.
Simon Spicer
2015-02-11 15:32:08 UTC
As someone who participated in GSoC 2014 as a grad student implementing mathematical code in Sage, I’d like to chip to any students following this list that this is a *highly* enjoyably and rewarding way to spend a summer. Would highly recommend; shoot me an email if you want more details on the actual logistics of doing GSoC project.

Also, I often ended up needing to work with PARI directly, so I think that wrapping all the new functionality thereof for easy access in Sage would make an excellent summer project.

- Simon Spicer
Post by William Stein
Does anybody have any GSoC projects to add to
http://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC/2015
There were basically zero that involved actual mathematics, so I've
added two.
I'm not sure whether the HNF for number fields is useful, given that PARI
has it already (unless you mean a different kind of HNF, but given that you
refer to Cohen it's probably the one which is in PARI).
More generally, there is really a huge amount of new functionality in PARI
git master (e.g. modular symbols, non-commutative algebras, elliptic curve
point counting, L-functions coming soon). Sage should interface that, not
replicate.
+1
I think it would be a very good project to expose some more of the
extra functionality from the pari library to Sage -- as Jeroen says,
the capabilities of pari have increased rather rapidly recently.
John
Jeroen.
Vincent Knight
2015-02-11 19:24:54 UTC
I have added a project on Game Theory (generally extend what is there:
still a lot of work to do! :)).

Apologies in advance if I've done this wrong (would not be my first
time...).

Thanks,
Vince
kcrisman
2015-02-12 15:52:40 UTC
Post by Vincent Knight
still a lot of work to do! :)).
Apologies in advance if I've done this wrong (would not be my first
time...).
I am happy to serve as a backup mentor for this project, naturally.
Manikandan Selvaganesh
2015-02-13 15:59:02 UTC
Hey Vincent,
I am Manikandan Selvaganesh a final year student, doing my final
B.E(Computer Science and Engineering) in India. I have done some code
contributions to Fedora and Mozilla. I have learned "Game theory" paper in
my 6th semester. I am much interested in solving those problems.
Currently, I am doing an intern in Red hat as well.
Also, I have done some programs to calculate, mixed strategy, dominance
problem, sequencing problems and few more on network models, assignment,
transpotation models.
I am strong in C, C++, HTML, CSS, java script, shell scripts and a beginner
in Python, C#, Java.
Having a look at your ideas, I am much interested in doing it as a GSoC
project.
Could you please assist me to get started?

Regards,
Manikandan Selvaganesh.

Robert Pollak
2015-02-12 09:12:48 UTC
Post by William Stein
Does anybody have any GSoC projects to add to
http://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC/2015
I hope it is suitable that I have added something there:
"Add support for systems of rational inequalities".

BTW, is there a way to get notified per mail when this wiki page
changes? I have put my mail address into the settings, but the
"Subscribe User" in the "More Actions" menu is still greyed out.

--Robert
Dima Pasechnik
2015-02-12 14:08:17 UTC
Post by Robert Pollak
Post by William Stein
Does anybody have any GSoC projects to add to
http://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC/2015
"Add support for systems of rational inequalities".
it's about univariate rational inequalities, right?
As such this isn't big enough for a whole GSoC project, IMHO.

There was a mentioning of a bigger thing - computing with semialgebraic
sets, and then this topic would naturally become a part of such a project.

Dima
Robert Pollak
2015-02-13 13:58:07 UTC
Post by Dima Pasechnik
Post by Robert Pollak
"Add support for systems of rational inequalities".
[...]
Post by Dima Pasechnik
There was a mentioning of a bigger thing - computing with semialgebraic
sets, and then this topic would naturally become a part of such a project.
Yes, my univariate case would fit into the "semialgebraic sets" topic
Miguel Marco mentioned in this thread - sorry I didn't notice earlier.

Robert
Ralf Stephan
2015-02-13 17:27:30 UTC
Post by William Stein
Does anybody have any GSoC projects to add to
http://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC/2015
I wanted to add this link to the wiki page:
http://trac.sagemath.org/query?status=needs_info&status=needs_work&status=new&milestone=sage-wishlist&or&milestone=sage-feature&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=component&order=priority

but couldn't recover my password or set a new one.
That link lists all trac tickets in sage-feature and sage-wishlist that
presumably aren't being worked on.

This may be a good source for GSoC ideas.

Regards,
Harald Schilly
2015-02-20 09:27:55 UTC
Does anybody have any GSoC projects to add to ...
Short update: Today is the proposal submission deadline. We are already set
up for this.

What still needs a little bit of further attention is the wiki page for
project proposals. There are some without a mentor, and in particular, the
iOS and Android app do not have anyone. Is there anybody capable of
mentoring those?

http://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC/2015

Harald